Sunday, 17 June 2012

Thing 7: real-life networks


The homework for this week's 23 Things for Professional Development is about real-life networks and to talk about my own experience with professional organisations.

The only official and professional organisation I belong to is CILIP. I joined CILIP when I was a postgraduate student reading Librarianship at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth in 2001-2. Unfortunately, I did not keep up with my membership with CILIP and so after a few years, I stopped being a member. I was working part-time as a library assistant and did not see much point of paying for its membership just for the sake of it. However, I became a Subject Librarian last year at the library where I have been working since 2003 and decided to join CILIP again in order to develop my professional knowledge and skills for my current post. I was also encouraged by my ex-manager to apply for CILIP Chartership who was happy to be my mentor. Feeling immensely lucky and blessed, I immediately registered as a candidate for CILIP Chartership. This course is part of the process of my Chartership and I am so excited to be on the course.  I have been learning many interesting things that are related to this profession and I hope that I will be able to keep up with the course which has been a wonderful learning experience for me. 

In Thing 6, I learned about LISNPN and found it very useful, especially I was able to download some useful resources including samples of other people's Chartership portfolios! I would also like to be part of an organisation for Chinese librarianship. The European Association of Sinological Librarians (EASL) is the one that I would really like to be involved and so I will find out more about it and see if I could join them. That will be really cool for me :-)


1 comment:

Heather's library blog said...

The thing I like most about CPD23 so far, is hearing from people like yourself, just starting out on your career and feeling very optimistic.It is really helping me to be more positive, drawing towards the latter end of my career. Keep up your enthusiasm!